Ptarmigan and Caribou the Tukoni

A Diary of the creative process is an interesting thing - sketches are accumulated and disappeared, I never return to the "used". But if work process is formalized in the publication, something remains. And for this there is no place anywhere except a blog.
So, without thinking a bit, I will talk about one of the illustrations from "The Birthday of the Firtree" - the fourth picturebook about Tukoni.


During its special mission Ptarmigan comes to see the reindeer. Caribou the Tukoni becomes its assistant.

This illustration is partly made manually, partly in the graphic editor.


Everything started from this doodle. Little quick drawing lets you understand what do you want to see in the end. This is the most important and most interesting step.
I’ve never seen northern deers, that’s why I had to Google. As usual, each illustration starts from sketches. In this case, these sketches ones you should decline then, because their aim are to learn the object, but not reproduce it.


Before depict the main scene I have drawn a lot of reindeers to learn how they look like. These sketches are sort of that kind you should to decline. They are needed not to redraw the object but to study it.



Before depict the main scene I have drawn a lot of reindeers to learn how they look like. The reindeer were to be naturalistic.





Do you also approve your own sketches? :))

The illustration was almost ready, when I realized that I don’t like it. At first look there were pretty normal deers. But they weren’t look like reindeers. So I decided to redo the whole illustration. The first version I will not show. I’ll show only a draft.


Most of all, I was upset by the antlers. The massive antlers are one of the recognizable signs for reindeers. On photos although they can be found completely without. But when all the flock has small antlers... I do not know - "young"? horns... Without the tree-like crowns for caribou this illustration lost an atmosphere I was looking for.

And now the second version.



Caribou the Tukoni (has very special horns).




Caribou the Tukoni and Ptarmigan. I think this is the only shot where you can see a back of Ptarmigan the Tukoni.



Sometimes you just need the drawing to be like it should be. ))


Thanks for watching and have a good day!

Comments

Popular Posts